- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Elvis helps FW Farmers Market launch 2013 summer season
Elvis will ring in the new summer season for the Federal Way Farmers Market, now in its 10th year.
The opening ceremony begins at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 11, at The Commons mall's southwest parking lot. Lunch with Elvis — also known as local entertainer Danny Vernon — will begin at noon. Patrons are encouraged to grab a bite to eat while Elvis croons the classics.
This year's market features more than 50 vendors along with plenty of fresh produce from local farmers. Several longtime vendors will return, along with master gardeners and local crafters.
As for food vendors, Great Harvest Bread will sell classic goodies, Little Russia bistro will serve crepes, Charro Azteca will whip up Mexican food, Parsnips will offer German grub, and Ono Chargrilled Burgers will put a Hawaiian spin on an American classic.
Throughout the five-month season, the market will host a range of events such as health fairs, family safety days and more.
"We're more than a farmers market," said co-director Rose Ehl. "We're a community market, too."
Other events scheduled for 2013:
• Advancing Leadership Class of 2013's Break The Chains, a 5K bike ride/walk/scoot to raise public awareness of human trafficking (May 18)
• The Apple Festival Run, featuring a 5K and 10K run/walk along with a family-friendly event celebrating the apple (Aug. 24)
• Western Roundup Chili Cook-off, in which the Federal Way police and South King firefighters battle for chili supremacy (Sept. 28)
• The Federal Way Farmers Market will be open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays through October.
• Vendors interested in participating at the farmers market are encouraged to contact Karla Kolibab at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 261-8157. To learn more about the market, visit federalwayfarmersmarket.com.
• In The Mirror's Best of Federal Way 2013 awards, the farmers market was chosen by readers as the top tourist attraction.