Pierce County adds to charges against suspected FWay rapist


The Mirror

Anthony Casper Dias, the Federal Way man charged with first-degree rape in King County in three attacks last year, was charged last week in Pierce County for two similar attacks in that county.

A total of 20 counts were filed in Pierce County Superior Court on Friday against Dias, including several counts of first-degree burglary, first-degree kidnapping and first-degree robbery. Pierce County prosecutors have linked him to three incidents that occurred between Aug. 31 and Oct. 31, 2005.

Dias has been in the Pierce County Jail since November of last year, when he was shot and arrested by Federal Way Police after he fled an apartment where two teenaged sisters were raped during the night. The victims are related to a King County Jail officer, and jail officials said Dias was moved to protect the jail officer’s family.

Dias is being held on $5 million bail.

Investigators in King and Pierce counties were able to link Dias to the attacks from DNA evidence, including cigarettes left at the crime scenes and physical evidence from the victims.

The King County prosecuting attorney has stated that based on the charges against Dias in this county, he would face a prison sentence of more than 100 years if convicted.

By the time Dias was caught, the South Sound area was alarmed by the brazen attacks authorities say were committed by one man. Each case –– ranging from Des Moines and Federal Way in King County to Tacoma and Fircrest in Pierce County –– were similar. An armed man entered a home or apartment, tied up several of the occupants, demanded money and raped one or more of the women in the residence.

In Pierce County, Dias was charged for attacking a 19-year-old woman in her bedroom while her mother and brother were in the house last August. The ordeal lasted almost two hours, during which Dias allegedly raped her repeatedly at gunpoint and took her around the house looking for money.

Then in October, three women in Tacoma were awakened by an intruder who bound two of them and then took the third around the residence demanding money and then raped her. Police later determined the telephone line had been cut and the victims’ cellphones were hidden.

The last incident in Pierce County took place in the early morning of Oct. 31, when two men and a woman in a residence were awakened by an armed intruder. He tied the men up with duct tape and forced the woman to take off her clothes. He took her around the house demanding money. He ordered her to call her sister to bring over money. When the sister arrived, the two men had broken the duct tape and were able to get outside and yell for help. The suspect fled the scene, authorities said.

The attacks in King County occurred on Oct. 28, the night of Oct. 31-Nov. 1 and Nov. 7-8. The latter ended with Dias’ capture.

Staff writer Mike Halliday: 925-5565,

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates