Suspect in fatal shooting surrenders


The Mirror

The man police wanted in connection with a homicide Monday night in Federal Way turned himself in Wednesday evening.

John K. Horn, 18, went to the Federal Way Police Department with his attorney after contacting King County prosecutors. He was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder and was booked into the county jail in Seattle, according to police spokeswoman Stacy Flores.

Horn had a bail hearing Thursday afternoon and charges were expected to be filed by Friday, said Dan Donohoe, spokesman for Prosecuting Attorney Norm Maleng.

Martez Jones, 20, died late Monday night from a single gunshot wound to the chest, according to the county medical examiner.

Investigators don't know the motive for the shooting because Horn wouldn't to them at the instruction of his attorney, Flores said.

Police were called shortly after 11 p.m. Monday to a home at 22nd Place South after being told a man had been shot outside. When officers and medics arrived, Jones was inside the home. He later died at the scene.

Witnesses told police they saw the suspected shooter flee to a nearby residence. A Special Response Team (SRT) comprised of area law enforcement agencies surrounded the house while a search warrant was obtained. However, when the duplex was searched, the police didn't find the suspect.

Police were in the cul-de-sac neighborhood all morning Tuesday, as were investigators from the Washington State Crime Lab and the medical examiner.

Relatives and friends of the victim shivered in the street, some wrapped in blankets while others smoked as police finished the investigation. They cried out in anguish when Jones' body, heavily wrapped and on a stretcher, was carried out of the house on Valentine's Day.

Police later named Horn as a suspect and asked the public for help in locating him. Investigators considered Horn, also known as "Menace" and "LB," armed and dangerous. A temporary felony warrant was issued for his arrest.

It appeared there were several bullet holes in the front wall of the house where the victim died.

Police took a young woman into custody during their investigation, but Flores said police arrested her for a separate offense f marijuana possession and not because of the shooting.

A woman living in the neighborhood who identified herself as Jones' aunt said the young woman was the girlfriend of Horn.

Staff writer Mike Halliday: 925-5565,

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 14
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates