- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
One fire damages two homes
By ERICA HALL
The residents of a duplex in Federal Way were displaced Monday after a fire engulfed the back porch and spread into the attic of the single-story, wood-frame structure in the 30800 block of Ninth Place South.
One side of the duplex, occupied by a male resident, suffered heavy smoke and fire damage. The other side, occupied by a female resident, had light smoke damage. Federal Way Fire Department spokeswoman Monica Colby said the Red Cross was taking care of both residents.
Neighbor Lawrence Fosha, who lives one street over from the duplex, said he was watching TV with a friend when he heard an explosion. He said he ran to the window, saw smoke billowing from the duplex and called 9-1-1.
Another neighbor said he knocked on a door, but no one answered.
Nobody was home when the fire started, no one was injured and neither resident in the duplex had pets, Colby said.
The fire appears to have started on or near the back porch, according to officials.
When firefighters arrived, the porch and a shed were engulfed in flames. The heat apparently shattered a window and fire spread into the attic, Colby said.
As neighbors watched from the street and nearby balconies, firefighters contained the flames and extinguished the fire.
Investigators, who remained at the scene into the afternoon Monday, believe the fire was accidental and caused by an electrical problem. Total damage was estimated at $150,000-$200,000, with the most heavily damaged side of the duplex apparently a total loss, according to the Fire Department.
Staff writer Ericac Hall: 925-5565, firstname.lastname@example.org