News

Barbecue fire displaces six from apartment

By ERICA HALL

The Mirror

A fire at the Stonehaven Apartments in Federal Way set an example for why the Washington State Building Code Council is considering adopting new fire codes that would ban balcony barbecues in multi-family residences.

Six Stonehaven residents are homeless after people living in one of the units had a barbecue on their balcony about 10 p.m. Tuesday. The occupant told firefighters he put water over the briquettes after they were done grilling, but the barbecue smoldered for hours and eventually ignited, Federal Way Fire Department spokeswoman Debbie Goetz said.

By 5 a.m. Wednesday, firefighters

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.