Chase suspect charged

A man who led police on a car chase into Federal Way before being shot and wounded by officers has been charged in King County Superior Court with one count of attempting to elude a police vehicle and one count of second-degree assault.

Eric L. Jackson will be arraigned May 21. He’s being held at the King County Jail in Seattle on bail of $250,000.

Authorities claim Jackson led police on a brief but high-speed chase May 3 after a Des Moines Police officer pulled him over and attempted to arrest him in Des Moines on a felony drug warrant.

When the officer asked him to get out of the car, Jackson began to cry and asked why he was being arrested, according prosecutors.

Jackson got out, but he and the officer struggled and he got back into the car. Jackson pinned the officer’s arm in the vehicle and began to drive away, dragging the officer about a car-length before he was able to free himself, police said.

The officer suffered bruises and lower-back pain in the incident, authorities said.

During the chase, Jackson allegedly drove erratically, causing other cars to swerve out of the way and turning his headlights on and off. Officers estimated he drove between 75 and 95 miles per hour.

They said Jackson exited the freeway at the South 348th Street exit and drove through business and residential areas in Federal Way until officers from the Federal Way and Kent police departments stopped him at 349th Place and 21st Avenue Southwest. As a Federal Way officer approached the front of Jackson’s car on foot, it accelerated, striking the officer’s patrol car, police said.

The officers, who said they believed Jackson was attempting to run over the officer, fired their weapons into the vehicle. The chase over, Jackson and a female passenger from Bothell were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with what authorities called non-life-threatening injuries.

Two Federal Way officers and two Kent officers are on paid administrative leave pending an investigation of the shooting.

The female passenger, whose name hasn’t been released, told police that Jackson, whom she said she didn’t know, picked her up in south Seattle and they smoked crack together.

She told police the chase scared her, that Jackson wouldn’t let her get out of the car and that when the car spun out and stopped, Jackson “started going again” and “was trying anything to get out of there.”

Staff writer Erica Jahn can be reached at 925-5565 and

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates