- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Fire and Aid
Incidents from Federal Way Fire Department reports for April 4-10 (209 total calls, including 147 medical calls, 11 fire responses, eight motor vehicle collisions and 20 false automatic fire alarms).
A 47-year-old woman went to St. Francis Hospital by private vehicle after she cut her hand with a box cutter. When firefighters arrived, store personnel had bandaged the patients hand. Firefighters examined the patients hand and found a one and a half-inch laceration near the base of her thumb.
A 15-year-old girl reported pain in her hip after falling off of a horse onto her side at South 282nd Street and 25th Avenue South at 8:31 p.m. She hit her head but did not lose consciousness. It was not reported whether she was wearing a helmet, which is recommended for all equestrians. When firefighters examined her, she said the pain radiated from the hip to the knee and was a 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. She was sent to St. Francis Hospital by ambulance for further evaluation.
The parents of a1e-year-old girl observed her to be acting confused and sleepy after she fell about seven feet off a stair landing. Firefighters found no obvious signs of injury when they examined the girl, but advised her father to take her to St. Francis Hospital to check for a possible head injury.
A 38-year-old man in the custody of the State Patrol reportedly told an officer he was having a stroke. When firefighters arrived at Ninth Avenue South and South 340th Street, the man told them he was having a heart attack and complained of a burning pain in the chest. He reportedly had not complained of any symptoms until tests by the officer began. After firefighters examined him, a trooper took him to St. Francis Hospital as a precaution.
The occupant of a single-family residence at 27th Place Southwest and Southwest 336th Street reported that he had extinguished a fire in his bathroom, but wanted firefighters to make sure it was completely out. He said he had been cooking when a friend heard a sound and saw smoke coming from the bathroom. The owner found that a wastebasket and some other items were burning. He dumped water on them from a bucket and began pulling things out of the bathroom. Some clothes were still burning and spread the fire to a pile of clothes in the hallway, which caught the doorframe to another bedroom on fire. In an attempt to put out that fire, the owner pulled the pile of burning clothes apart, spreading small fires into two other bedrooms. He finally got all of the small fires out by moving some of the burning clothes outside and using a garden hose on them and inside the house. There were some burns to the carpet and a doorframe. The owner said he thought the fire might have started from a lit cigarette that he might have left in the bathroom on the counter.
A 23-year-old man was hit in the right side of the face and tip of the ear by a baseball while he was pitching in a game. Firefighters found him on the ground, with bruising and a cut on his ear and swelling behind it. He was also spitting a little blood, but the cut could not be located because it hurt to open his mouth. After a cold pack was applied to the injury, he was sent to St. Francis Hospital by ambulance.
A fall while skateboarding at South 312th Street and 24th Avenue South at 1:05 p.m. resulted in a broken arm for a 12-year-old boy. Firefighters splinted his arm, and he went to St. Francis Hospital by private vehicle for treatment.
A homeowner at South 294th Place and Seventh Avenue South was killing some grass with a weed burner and caught two decorative bushes on fire. The fire was extinguished with a garden hose. Firefighters advised him that outdoor burning is prohibited by Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.
A 53-year-old man slipped and fell off a roof at South 283rd Street and 22nd Avenue South and landed on his back. He reported severe back pain and pain on the back of his head. After a neck brace was put on and he was strapped to a backboard to prevent movement, he was sent to St. Francis Hospital by ambulance.
A man was standing on a ladder in a building at Military Road South and South 381st Street at 11:24 a.m., approximately 10 feet up, when he lost his balance and fell to the floor. He reached for a steel beam, reported by other workers to weigh more than 500 pounds, but it had not been secured and he pulled it to the floor. He landed face down on the floor and the steel girder landed on his head. Co-workers removed the beam before firefighters and King County Medic One paramedics arrived, and said the man had been unconscious since the fall. He regained consciousness after several minutes but was disoriented. He suffered cuts and extensive swelling to the head. The medic unit took him to Harborview Medical Center for treatment.
A nearby construction crew with a tanker truck was able to control a fully-engulfed vehicle fire on southbound Interstate 5, near South 272nd Street, before a fire engine arrived. Firefighters found the full-sized Oldsmobile smoking, without occupants. The driver said the car had been overheating for several miles with steam and smoke before the fire started.
The Federal Way Fire Commissioners will hold a strategic planning workshop April 18 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Federal Way Fire Department training station at 1405 SW. 312th. The regular monthly meeting will follow at 4 p.m.
At its March 14 meeting, the Highline Community College Board of Trustees:
Learned that Esther Patrick had resigned from the board.
Learned that Angela Amolo, a student from Kenya, was elected as a student government senator.
Received reports that tuition increases were discussed at a recent quarterly meeting with the college president; that Ivan Gorne, vice president for student services, met with the Service and Activities Budget Committee to discuss the new student union building; that the student bookstore is selling an average o $700 worth of candy per day; that the college will receive $3.1 million from the state supplemental budget for roof and tunnel repairs on the campus.