- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Fire and Aid
Incidents from Federal Way Fire Department reports of March 21-27 (from among 233 total calls, including 150 medical incidents, 13 fire responses, seven motor vehicle collisions and 12 false automatic fire alarms):
Answering a report of an explosion and smoke from a residence at 12th Avenue Southwest and Southwest 358th, firefighters found the homeowner outside, near a water heater closet door from which a small amount of smoke was coming. They saw charring on the water heater cover, accompanied by an electrical smell. They turned off the circuit breaker and disconnected wiring to the water heater, then removed the covers on the thermostat and element and put water on the charred insulation to ensure no hot spots. The homeowner was advised to call a plumber.
Firefighters sent a 64-year-old man to St. Francis Hospital for stitches after he apparently cut himself while cutting chicken, suffering from a four-inch laceration about a quarter-inch deep.
A 46-year-old man had too much to drink and wound up in police custody. He was found lying face down in the bushes outside the Sears store at SeaTac Mall at about 8:40 p.m. Firefighters who pulled the man out of the bushes said he appeared to be intoxicated and was unable to walk, but had no apparent injuries. After firefighters got him into the ambulance, the patient appeared to reach to things in the air that werent there. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital.
A 62-year-old woman, doing what firefighters discourage, drove to the fire station at South 320th Street and 37th Avenue South to seek aid for chest pains. Firefighters monitored the patients vital signs, the woman reported the pain stopped during the examination, and she was went to St. Francis Hospital by private vehicle. The Fire Department reminds citizens to stay home and call 9-1-1 if they suspect they are having a medical emergency. Getting into a car and driving to a fire station can endanger others and delay help. Firefighters are often out of the fire station.
A 4-year-old boy playing with concentrated liquid dish detergent got soap in his eyes, causing extreme irritation that prompted a call for firefighters. After approximately 10 minutes, the irritation seemed to lessen and firefighters left the boy with his mother. Officials recommend child safety locks on cabinets or keeping soaps and other household cleaners out of childrens reach.
Firefighters sent an 11-year-old boy by ambulance for further evaluation of a possible head injury after he reportedly slipped on some spilled soup in a grocery store and fell, striking the back of his head on the ground. When firefighters arrived, the patient was conscious and seated, but reported head pain.
At its meeting March 25, the Metropolitan King County Council unanimously:
Approved an ordinance authorizing the sale of two surplus parcels in Federal Way to Habitat for Humanity for the purpose of affordable housing. The land, located at Southwest 369th Street and First Avenue South, was acquired by the county through foreclosure sales for delinquent real estate taxes. Each 12,000 square-foot parcels value is assessed at $20,000; Habitat for Humanity will buy them for $3,500, the amount of back taxes.
Approved the 2002 work plan for the county auditor. Projects include operations and staffing performance audits at the Regional Justice Center in Kent and the downtown jail, and performance measures for the King County Institutional Network.
Approved an ordinance authorizing the sheriff to remove abandoned junk vehicles from streets and other public property in unincoporated county areas.