Federal Way City Council vacancies garner 24 applicants
By GREG ALLMAIN
Federal Way Mirror reporter
January 3, 2013 · 9:38 AM
The Federal Way City Council will choose from among 24 applicants for the two vacant council seats left by recently elected State Representatives Linda Kochmar and Roger Freeman.
According to the city, the council will interview the prospective applicants at a special meeting on Saturday, Jan. 19. This special session of the council will begin at 8:15 a.m. in council chambers on the second floor of City Hall, and the public is invited to attend. Doors will open at 7:30 a.m., with coffee and light refreshments provided by the city.
The proceedings can also be viewed on Comcast Channel 21, and will be streamed live on the city's website at www.cityoffederalway.com/live21.
Each applicant will be given five minutes at the podium to introduce themselves and make their case. The council will then have five minutes to ask questions of the applicants in response to previously written statements given by the applicants.
Because of the two vacancies, there is an added layer of complexity to these appointments. By state law, the council must choose one applicant first and name that person to the council. That person will then also be part of the decision-making process for the second applicant. The city indicates the council believes it can finish this process on Jan. 19.
The applicants are: Christopher Adekoya, Ed Barney, Andrew Boike, Herman Brewer IV, Eldeen Cossel, Robert Danielle, Hope Elder, John Fairbanks, Shawn Harju, Mark Koppang, Keith Livingston, Kelly Maloney, Richard Mayer, Tom Medhurst, Ryan Miller, Diana Noble-Gulliford, Dorry Peterson, Ron Podmore, Robyn Richins, Eltrina Rose, Leslie Sessoms, Troy Smith, Jack Stanford and Mark Walsh.
A tentative schedule for Jan. 19:
• 7:30 a.m.: Doors open for coffee and refreshments
• 8 a.m.: City clerk posts order of appearance in council chambers
• 8:15 a.m.: Mayor calls special meeting to order
• 8:30 a.m.: Deputy mayor begins interview process described above
• 1:30 p.m.: Anticipated ending time of oral interview process
• 2 p.m.: Council moves to executive session to discuss applicants' qualifications
• 2:45 p.m.: Council returns to public meeting to vote and appoint first position; city clerk administers oath to selected applicant
• 3 p.m.: Council and newly appointed member move back into executive session to discuss second position
• 4 p.m.: Council returns to public meeting to vote and appoint second applicant; city clerk administers oath to that applicant
Contact Federal Way Mirror reporter Greg Allmain at email@example.com or 253-925-5565 ext. 5054.