Post-holiday recycling options for Federal Way residents

Federal Way resident Elizabeth Parks supports styrofoam recycling. - Courtesy photo
Federal Way resident Elizabeth Parks supports styrofoam recycling.
— image credit: Courtesy photo

From staff reports:

A Christmas tradition for many is trying to figure out what to do with all the used wrapping paper, packing materials and food leftovers.

For Federal Way residents, there will be an array of recycling opportunities in the weeks after Christmas to make sure any and all waste from the holiday is recycled.

Styrofoam block recycling

Free styrofoam block recycling will be available at City Hall from Dec. 24 to Jan. 11. Collection carts are located in the northeast corner of the City Hall parking lot. The city notes that only "clean white styrofoam blocks are accepted for recycling." Styrofoam peanuts can be recycled at any UPS store, but styrofoam cups, food trays, etc., are not accepted by the city.

The city notes that styrofoam can be recycled year-round by visiting Styro Recycle, located at 800 SW 43rd St. in Renton. More about Styro Recycle can be found at or by calling (253) 838-9555.

Holiday tree recycling

For those who prefer a real Christmas tree, curbside pickup of those trees will be available between Dec. 31 and Jan. 11. The city indicates trees need to be at the curb by 7 a.m. on residents' regular waste pickup days. Any and all ornaments or decorations need to be removed, and any trees taller than 6 feet need to be cut in half. Decorated or "flocked" trees cannot be composted and will be charged as garbage.

Multi-family property managers are encouraged to contact Waste Management in advance at (800) 592-9995. Tree recycling for apartment complexes and similar properties will happen on Dec. 28, Jan. 4 and Jan. 11.

Free car seat dropoff

Infant and child car seats can be donated at the Federal Way Health and Safety Fair, which takes place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at the Federal Way Community Center. Older models of car seats that can not be reused, or have been recalled, will be broken down into their component parts for further recycling.

Wrapping paper and curbside recyclables

Extra recycling from wrapping paper and other similar materials will be collected at no additional cost to residents. Any overflow recycling needs to be put in cardboard boxes, paper bags, or "durable" containers marked for recycling.

Used cooking oil

Used cooking oil can be dropped at of at the collection container located in the parking lot of French Lake Dog Park, 31531 1st Ave. S. The city advises residents to transport the oil in a plastic jug with a secure twist-on lid. The city advises that the oil should be poured out slowly to avoid splatter. Residents must take their containers home.

Food scraps and food-soiled paper

All food scraps (meat, bones, dairy, vegetables, bread) and food-soiled paper (napkins, paper towels, pizza boxes) can be placed in curbside yard waste containers for compost collection. Food scrap items can be wrapped in newspaper, paper bags or biodegradable bags, the city notes.

Learn more

For more information on Federal Way's recycling program, visit











We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates