His mother 'hated him'


The Mirror

Anthony Casper Dias, already charged with 11 counts relating to a string of home invasions and rapes last year, could face almost 100 years in prison after being charged in King County Superior Court with eight more counts this week.

Dias, a Federal Way resident, was charged Thursday with three counts of first-degree rape, two counts of indecent liberties, unlawful imprisonment, second-degree assault and burglary for a home invasion and attack that occurred in the early morning hours of Oct. 28 at the Enchanted Woods apartment complex on South 320th Street near Federal Way.

Dias also is suspected of similar attacks in Pierce County but hasn't been charged in those cases. If he is tried and convicted in both counties, Dias, 26, would serve his sentences consecutively in a state prison.

He has pleaded not guilty in all three cases in which he's been charged, including an attack in Federal Way last November that ended with his arrest. He is being held on bail of $5 million in Pierce County's jail because the teenage victims are related to a King County Jail officer.

In the incident in which he was charged this week, authorities said, Dias revealed personal details about himself to his victims, including his relationships with his mother and his feelings about other women.

Three men and two women were asleep in the apartment when they were awakened by a man wearing a ski mask and holding a gun. It's believed the suspect got in through an open window, according to authorities, who said the women were repeatedly raped at gunpoint during the three-hour ordeal while the three men were bound and beaten. Dias allegedly demanded money, ransacked the apartment and made off with more than $800 in cash.

In the attack, court records state, Dias repeatedly told the victims he was robbing them, that he wasn't a rapist and he had "a beautiful lady at home." He also told the victims he had been in jail before, had "accidentally killed someone when he was younger" and his mother "hated him" because of the trouble he had been in. He also told the two women they "wouldn't give him the time of day if they saw him on the street because they were attractive, white females."

Dias is black.

Investigators haven't turned up information to confirm or dispel Dias' claim he killed someone, according to Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for the King County prosecuting attorney.

Dias has also been charged in two other incidents in King County.

One was in Des Moines during the night of Oct. 31-Nov. 1. Two young women were repeatedly raped in their apartment by a man with a gun who was wearing a ski mask while other family members were tied up in the living room. The man demanded money from the victims, authorities said.

On Nov. 8, Dias, 26, was shot and arrested by Federal Way Police after he ran from an apartment where two teenage sisters were sexually assaulted during the night while their mother was tied up. The sisters and their mother were able to escape after Dias fell asleep after taking illegal drugs. He told them it was a mix of marijuana and ecstasy, according to authorities.

Investigators linked Dias to the crimes from DNA evidence off of cigarette butts left at the crime scenes by the attacker.

Donohoe said this week he isn't aware of any plea bargains between prosecutors and Dias' lawyer that might affect the defendant's possible conviction and sentence.

After being charged with the Des Moines attack, Dias tried to hang himself in his cell in January and was treated at a Tacoma hospital before being returned to jail. He has been monitored since then. A Pierce County Sheriff Department spokesman said at the time that Dias was unhappy after reading newspaper articles about himself.

Dias is also a suspect in two Pierce County cases. One took place in Fircrest, a town near Tacoma, and one in Tacoma. Charges haven't been filed in either case, according to Pierce County deputy prosecutor Mary Robnette.

All of the attacks have similarities: A man with dark skin, wearing a ski mask and gloves and brandishing a gun managed to get inside a residence. He tied up the victims, except any young women, and demanded money. Then over several hours he repeatedly raped the women, forced them to wash and then left. The victims called police.

The attack in Fircrest Aug. 31, believed to be the first in a series that garnered extensive news coverage regionally, involved a teenage girl who was raped in her bedroom while her mother was asleep in the house.

The attack in Tacoma occurred days later when a man got into a home and tied up the roommates before assaulting one of them.

Staff writer Mike Halliday: 925-5565,

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates