- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Federal Way buys banners for diving trials
Mirror staff reports:
Federal Way spent $10,000 to promote the U.S. Olympic Diving Trials, which ends this weekend at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center.
The city installed banners along South 320th and South 348th streets. Federal Way expects the weeklong event to inject at least $1 million into the local economy as visitors spend their money at the city's hotels and restaurants.
The Mirror asked readers on Facebook: Did you notice the banners? Here are some responses.
• Brittne Lunniss: "That's a well spent $10,000," said no one ever.
• Brett Hulse: I have noticed the banners. They look great and the cost is nominal considering the opportunity Federal Way has to host this prestigious event and to showcase the community. We need more of these types of things to turn this town around.
• Lynn Bayless: I live just off 320th and never noticed them. What a waste of money.
• Adam Rosencrantz: I have seen the banners! Didn't really know what they were for but was glad to see them. Almost made the city feel more like a real city!
• Jim Knapp: Didn't we just complain about scantly clothed billboards in town now these go up? LOL
• Denise Williamson Coburn: They are on 320th but most of them are hidden by trees!!!
• Morgan Griffith: Yes, I noticed the signs in town. Great way to promote the event and make the competitors feel welcome! I actually think we as a City could have put more effort into marketing and promoting this event in Federal Way. It is an honor and a privilege that Federal Way was selected to host the event.
• Kelly Maloney: These banners come out of the city budget and go a long way to drive economic development in the city. Bringing the Olympic (Yes OLYMPIC) Dive Trials to Federal Way results in $1,000,000 being spent here. The competition for these types of events is stiff, and cities roll out the red carpet to vie for the opportunity because it helps the community. The more we show event organizers we're happy they are here, the more we'll benefit from future events coming here.