Federal Way teens injured while playing with fire and gas

From staff reports:

The West Seattle Herald reports that five Federal Way students were injured Monday after playing with fire and gasoline on Alki beach.

The Thomas Jefferson High School students were celebrating graduation with a bonfire. A young man poured gas into an envelope, then placed it into a barbecue pit, the report said. The envelope exploded, spreading flames and catching shirts on fire.

Two male teens were taken to Harborview Medical Center with second- and third-degree burns to their face and arms, the report said. Two other males and one female were treated at Harborview for burns. The female's hair and face were burned, and the two males had first- and second-degree burns to their upper chest, the report said.

One witness told KIRO News that it looked like a campfire was on their chests.

The Seattle Fire Department responded to the incident. The West Seattle Herald posted photos from the scene. In one photo, people pour water on a badly burned male as he waits for help. Click here to read more.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates