News

Dryer fire displaces family, grease fire burns 68-year-old man

From South King Fire and Rescue reports:

• Dryer fire displaces family: A family of four were displaced from their home following a fire that did extensive damage to the main living area, attic and roof. South King Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire at approximately 8:40 a.m. Nov. 11 in the 28200 block of South 15th Avenue in Federal Way. First arriving units found heavy black smoke from the front door and flames from the rear upper windows of this split level home.

A mother of two children under age 5 was home with a family dog when a fire broke out in the vicinity of a dryer. The women evacuated her children and the dog as the fire spread throughout the structure. Her husband had earlier left for work and was not home the time of the fire’s discovery. There were no injuries to the family. The home had working smoke alarms, but no residential fire sprinklers. The loss was estimated to be $300,000, including building damage and personal contents damage.

The family will be staying with friends until such time as the home can be repaired and reoccupied.

• Grease fire burns man: A 68-year-old man suffered minor burns to the hands and face when trying to extinguish a kitchen fire started from an unattended pan of cooking oil left on the stove when he was distracted with a telephone call. South King Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire at about 6:30 p.m. Nov. 10 in the 500 block of SW 321st St. in Federal Way. First arriving units found heavy black smoke was billowing from a door open to the garage as well as from an open front door and from second floor windows.

The man was home alone at the time and alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke and the sounding of working smoke alarms in the home. The man was treated at the scene, but refused transport by medical personnel. The man later had his wife transport him to a local hospital for treatment. The home did not have residential fire sprinklers. The loss was estimated to be $200,000, including building damage and personal contents damage.

Citizens are reminded to never leave a stove unattended while actively cooking and to have a large metal lid available to smother a grease fire rather than trying to move a pan to the sink.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates