- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
More closures at I-5 and SR 18 | Federal Way traffic update
As construction continues on Interstate 5 at the State Route 18 exits, Federal Way motorists should note the following closures:
• The HOV lane of southbound I-5 near SR 18 will close daily this week from 7 p.m. to 1 p.m. the following day for sign work. Also, expect night-time ramp and lane closures this week on SR 18 for sign bridge work. Most work begins at 9 p.m. and ends by 5 a.m.
• During the weekend of July 15-18, the ramp from eastbound SR 18 to southbound I-5 will be closed. Crews will connect portions of the new flyover ramp to SR 18 and I-5. A detour for traffic will run on northbound I-5 to South 320th Street and back to southbound I-5.
• The ramp from Weyerhaeuser Way to westbound SR 18 is closed around the clock through the end of August. A 4-mile detour route will be available for the estimated 4,300 daily drivers who use the ramp. Drivers will need to take eastbound SR 18 to the West Valley Highway (SR 181) exit, then merge on to westbound SR 18.
• Throughout most of August, the ramp from westbound SR 18 to northbound I-5 will be closed. Crews will connect the ramp to the rebuilt Weyerhaeuser Way ramp and also build freeway walls. A detour for traffic will run along northbound State Route 99 (Pacific Highway South) and South 320th Street. This 8-mile detour along SR 99 is expected to take at least 15 minutes; city traffic engineers will adjust the timing of traffic signals along the detour’s arterial roads. Drivers coming from Auburn can use northbound State Route 167 and westbound State Route 516 to connect with northbound I-5. The ramp is expected to re-open before Labor Day weekend.
• All major work on the Triangle Project is expected to be finished by late fall 2012.