- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Fire starts with cigarette and a pot | South King Fire and Rescue blotter
From staff reports:
Between Oct. 16 and Oct. 23, South King Fire and Rescue received 323 total calls, 240 EMS calls, eight fires and 28 false calls. Here are a few of the calls South King Fire and Rescue responded to in that time frame.
• Oct. 16: At 1:57 a.m. at 21st Ave. SW and SW 356th St., firefighters and paramedics were called after a man was shot in the head. Once the police department secured the scene, he was quickly stabilized and transported to Harborview Medical Center, where he later died.
• Oct. 16: At 7:19 p.m. at 8th Avenue South and South 231st St. in Des Moines, two men were cooking when the food in the pan caught fire. They were able to extinguish the fire using wet towels, and also had a fire extinguisher ready. When firefighters arrived, the fire was out and there was very little smoke in the home. Firefighters informed the residents that by placing a lid on the pan, it will extinguish the fire better than the towels. Unattended cooking fires are the number one cause of fire in the district, as well as across the country.
• Oct. 17: At 2:30 a.m. at 34th Avenue South and South 287th Street in unincorporated King County, firefighters responded to a fire at the Brookside Village Apartments. Upon arrival, they found a small fire on the third floor balcony. Firefighters knocked on the door of the apartment and were preparing to force the door open, when the occupant answered. They quickly extinguished the fire before it spread into the apartment. Fire investigators believe the fire started in a plant pot, where the occupant discarded her cigarette. Damage was limited to the balcony and the estimated loss is approximately $250. South King Fire and Rescue would like to remind people to make sure all cigarette debris is put out completely.
• Oct. 18: At 11:46 a.m. at 1st Avenue SW and SW Campus Drive in Federal Way, a grocery store customer called 911 after a 10-month-old infant fell out of a shopping cart and hit her head. The infant was reportedly not strapped in and fell approximately four feet. As firefighters arrived, the infant was crying and had a bump on her head. She was also having a difficult time staying awake. Paramedics transported her to a children’s hospital in Tacoma for treatment.
• Oct. 19: At 5:06 p.m. at 20th Avenue South and South 314th Street in Federal Way, firefighters responded to a two-vehicle crash, where one of the vehicles rolled over. Inside the vehicle that rolled over were two children and the driver. All passengers were wearing their seatbelts. An 11-year-old boy was taken to the hospital with minor injuries to his forearm. No other injuries were reported.