With the recent spring weather feeling a lot like summer, it’s time to think about those exterior home improvements.
And for many homeowners, that means painting!
“The warmer weather offers the ideal opportunity to freshen up the exterior of your home with a fresh coat of paint. But because your home’s facade is also exposed to wind, rain, sun and other elements, it’s essential to prepare properly and use the right materials,” says Terry Koubele, owner of Federal Way’s Five Star Painting.
How can you find the right person for the job? Here’s what you need to know:
- Get several quotes: Estimates can vary considerably, so ensure you’re comparing “apples to apples” by getting the full details of what’s included in the quote and not just a price jotted on the back of a business card. Remember, cheapest shouldn’t be the only criteria, or you may just get what you pay for!
- Check credentials: Make sure potential painting companies are licensed, insured and bonded, and look for the added confidence things like BBB accreditation and professional affiliations offer, says Koubele, whose company has been named “Best of Federal Way.”
- Confirm their experience and products used: Look for a painting professional with the knowledge and experience to get the job done right – the first time. Preparation is essential for outside paint projects, so how will they ready your home for painting and what products will they use? Lower-end products may not offer the look or longevity you expect, suggests Koubele, who opts for quality lines from Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore.
- Ask about their financial expectations: Some painters will require a substantial down-payment up front, but then homeowners can be left on the hook waiting for their job to be finished, Koubele says. In contrast, Five Star Painting doesn’t require payment until the job is done. “We don’t ask for payment until the customer is satisfied.”
- Do they offer financing? Professional painting is an investment in your home, and as such, companies like Five Star Painting offer financing options (with approved credit).
- Ask for customer service details: How will your painting project unfold? At Five Star Painting, for example, they have an on-site project supervisor for every job – a point of contact for any questions homeowners might have.
- Ask for – and check – their references: A painting contractor or company that is proud of their work should have no problem providing references. Follow up and ask references about the scope of their project, whether they experienced any issues and most importantly, whether they’d hire the painters again.
- Finally, don’t wait: As the sun shines and homeowners head outside, more will decide this is the summer to give their home a fresh new look. “We’ll be getting busier and busier, so the best time to arrange those estimates is now,” Koubele says. “We treat every home like our own and we want every customer to feel that.”