From pickleball matches and bridge games to art classes and road trips, the Federal Way Community Center is a premier recreational hub for local seniors.
Seniors can drop by the center, 876 S. 333rd St., any day of the week for social activities or a hot lunch. Membership at the center is an option, but not required to enjoy many of the pay-as-you-go recreational opportunities, most of which cost a dollar or two.
The center hosts free monthly seminars on topics such as finances, health, driver safety and senior rights. In addition, more than 250 seniors take advantage of the SilverSneakers fitness program.
Seniors who like to travel will also find an outlet for an affordable price. Day trips include Mariners games, lunch at the Space Needle or a journey to the casino, complete with wine tasting. Overnight excursions include the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island, while multi-day treks target the Canadian Rockies or the beloved Camp Wrinkle Ranch — where seniors channel summer camp memories and make friends.
“Whatever seniors want, we try to provide,” said David Schmidt, recreation coordinator at the center. “We try to make it as convenient as possible for seniors.”
The city’s parks and recreation department publishes a catalog with upcoming events and activities for the season. Contact the center at (253) 835-6925 for more details. Ongoing drop-in activities for seniors include:
• Book club
• Line dancing
• Memoir writing
• Art classes
• Pickleball (sort of like a cross between ping pong, tennis and whiffleball)
• Bridge for beginners and experts
• Golf lessons
• Tai chi and yoga
Below are some upcoming trips sponsored by the community center in April and May. Prices include transportation and various trip fees. Call the center at (253) 835-6925 for details.
• April 17, May 1, May 15: A day of fun and adventure in exploring and visiting unique locations around the state. $22-$24.
• April 19: Tulip Festival in La Conner. $38.
• April 21: Tillicum Village, Blake Island. $89.
• April 26: Mystery trip. $38.
• April 28: Fidalgo Island, Deception Pass. $32.
• May 3: Port Townsend. $36.
• May 5: Bellingham and Fairhaven. $36.
• May 10: Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island. $38.
• May 11-13: Seaside, Oregon (overnight). $319 with partner or $429 single.
• May 16: Argosy Fantasy Mystery Cruise. $65.
• May 17: Chateau St. Michelle Winery and Red Hook Brewery. $55.
• May 19: San Juan Islands, Friday Harbor. $38.
• May 24: North Whidbey Island. $36.
• May 26: Wenatchee and Cashmere. $36.
• May 31: Mystery trip. $38.
To learn more, call the Federal Way Community Center at (253) 835-6925 or go to itallhappenshere.org.