At Federal Way Public Schools scholar safety is the No. 1 priority. With school back in session soon, all drivers, scholars and families are encouraged to be aware of their surroundings as they travel to and from school.
It’s important to note school zones are in place to alert drivers, save lives and prevent serious injuries near schools. Drivers are encouraged to take the following precautions on roads, especially around schools:
* Slow down and be alert to the actions of pedestrians and other drivers.
* Pay attention to and abide by the speed limit, which in school zones is 20 miles per hour.
* Be alert for children in school zones.
* Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians.
* Reduce traffic congestion and keep children visible. Do not double-park, stop in crosswalks or interfere with school buses in the bus loading area of a school.
Safe walking tips for students include:
* Discuss a safe route to and from school.
* Teach children to stop at the curb and look both ways before crossing the street.
* When crossing, walk, do not run and keep an eye out for turning vehicles.
* If your child rides a bike, skateboard or roller blades, always wear helmets and protective clothing; put reflectors on your bike and shoes.
* Students should try to walk with a friend or group of friends; stay on a walking route approved by parents and go directly to and from school; don’t take shortcuts or stop at a friend’s house without checking with parents first.
It takes all of us — the greater Federal Way community — to ensure each scholar’s safe arrival to school. Thank you for taking your part.