- About Us
Northwest Sand Festival starts this week in Federal Way
The Northwest Sand Festival is an international event, featuring some of the world's best sand sculptors.
The event runs Aug. 16 through Sept. 3 in the southwest corner of The Commons Mall parking lot. Hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Saturday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
Special events, consisting of live music, food and beer gardens will be held throughout the event, with most of those special events taking place Thursday through Sunday. Also available to festival-goers throughout the event will be a giant sandbox for children to play in, daily sand sculpting lessons from the artists themselves and Quick Sand, a timed competition among the sculptors that will take place during afternoons.
Another activity that will run the breadth of the competition is Flying Colors, where master sculptor and painter John Gowdy spins a large canvas and throws paint at the canvas as it spins. Finally, the opportunity for festival-goers to have personalized pictures with some of the sand sculptures will be available.
Prices are $7 adults; $5 for seniors and children $5; kids under 4 are free. A festival pass for all 19 days of competition is $25. Visit nwsandfestival.com or contact email@example.com or (253) 221-4449.
Discounted admission dates
• Opening Day, Aug. 16: Admission Free for All Visitors
• Mon., Aug. 20: $2 off adult admission
• Tues., Aug. 21: $2 off adult admission for Federal Way residents (ID required)
• Wed., Aug. 22: Senior Day, $5 adult admission
• Mon., Aug. 27: $2 off adult admission
• Tue., Aug. 28: Service Club Day, $2 off adult admission
• Wed., Aug. 29: Military Appreciation Day, $5 adult admission with active Military ID
(Pictured below: Volunteers set up sand Monday at The Commons mall parking lot in preparation for the Northwest Sand Festival):