Sand sculpting winners: Doubles competition | Slideshow
August 30, 2011 · 12:08 PM
Doubles competition winners were announced at the Sand Sculpting Tournament of Champions in Federal Way:
• First place: "A Beautiful Malady" by Susanne Ruseler and Fergus Mulvany.
• Second place: "Shangri-La" by Joo Heng Tan and Kevin Crawford.
• Third place: "Going Nowhere Fast" by Helena Bangert and Kirk Rademaker.
The tournament runs through Sept. 5 at the former Target/Toys 'R' Us site, 31510 20th Ave. S., Federal Way. World master sculptors will produce works of art out of sand to compete in singles and doubles competitions.
Admission is $8.50 adults, $6.50 for children and seniors, free for ages 4 and under. Event runs 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays. All proceeds benefit local Federal Way charities. This is a non-profit event hosted by the Federal Way Community Council. Contact (253) 221-4449 or visit www.sandchamps.com.
MORE VIDEOS AND SLIDESHOWS
• Check out a video of sand sculptors preparing for the second round of competition at the Sand Sculpting Tournament of Champions in Federal Way.
• Click here to view a photo slideshow of the solo division entries and winners.
• Check out a video from opening day, featuring master sculptors in action and remarks by Federal Way Mayor Skip Priest.
• This year's Sand Sculpting Tournament of Champions features an event called Quicksand, in which two sculptors go head-to-head on a 10-minute impromptu challenge, with the winner determined by the audience. Check out a video of sculptors Carl Jara and Joo Heng Tan facing off during opening weekend in Federal Way.